Thursday, April 13, 2017

Crew Robert Dahl

Our little boy has finally arrived, and our hearts are exploding with love.  

Crew's birth story:
I had mild contractions with Crew on and off for several days before he was born. Monday night into Tuesday I had more contractions but nothing consistent.  Chuck was going to stay home from work, but I told him to go in since no regular contractions were happening. The day was pretty uneventful with few contractions. 

My OB was out of town for spring break and the on call OB for the day was not my favorite.  Luckily we have an OB who works out of our clinic, and my co-workers asked her if she would deliver for me if for some reason I went into labor on Tuesday. Thankfully she happily agreed.  She said she was going out to dinner with her family and would be available anytime after that.  I was so happy to have that option.

Since nothing was happening with labor, I messaged my supervisor at 3:08pm to tell her I would be in the next day.  So they opened up my schedule for Wednesday.  At 3:44pm I was washing one of Mackston's diapers when I had a sharp pain and my water broke.  I messaged a co-worker who said "Don't do that, Dr. Wistrom (the OB) just called you a dick."  I was laughing so hard at that point. So less than half an hour after I asked for my schedule to be opened for the next day, I told them to put a hold on my schedule.

At that point I decided to call Chuck to tell him to come home (because he was working about an hour away from home).

The contractions started to pick up quick at that point.  The kids were outside playing with some neighbor kids.  I sent the neighbor kids home and called grandpa and grandma to come get the kids. Chuck got home about 4:45pm, and we headed for the hospital about 10 minutes later.  We got to the hospital and checked in.  By the time we got to our room it was 5:15pm or shortly after.  After the nurse got me settled in, she started an IV and called for anesthesiology to come for an epidural. Then she checked and said I was 5-6 cm dilated and they needed to get a hold of OB quick.  Dr. Wistrom was on her way to dinner but turned around to come deliver for me.  The nurse came back in and checked me again and thought maybe I had regressed to 4 cm so they agree that I could have a shot of stadol (a pain medication).  After the shot I instantly felt pressure.  She checked me again and ran to grab the OB.  I was fully dilated and ready to go.

Dr. Wistrom came in as the nurses were getting the bed ready for delivery.  And then in walks anesthesiology.  Dr. Wistrom told them it was too late but to wait in case I need an epidural after I delivered baby (because my placenta sticks).  I pushed for about 10 minutes and Crew made his appearance at 6:15pm.  He weighed 7lb 6oz and was 20.5in long.  And somehow my placenta didn't stick this time so I didn't need the epidural at all.  It was such a fast paced delivery, and I felt amazing afterwards.  Dr. Wistrom was able to make it to dinner and told me the next day that she missed her daughter puking in her carseat when she was at my delivery.  I think this was my favorite of all 4 deliveries.
Chesney came that night with Grandma to see Crew and ended up staying overnight in the hospital with me. She was so excited to finally meet her brother.
Grammy made it the night he was born as well but wasn't able to make it in time for his birth.  Heck we barely made it in time for his birth.
 Brecken and Mackston came to meet Crew the next day.  Brecken tried to hold the baby but Crew started to cry.  Brecken instantly started to cry and said he didn't want to hold the baby any more.  He warmed up after a few minutes though.
 
 Mackston wanted to give him kisses.
 
 
 
 
 I love this family of ours.
The next night we were ready to head home.
And we made it home as a family of 6.
We are so in love with baby Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment